Do these words make you picture expansive warehouse stores and packs of paper towels that you can barely fit in your car? At Rosewood Market, we won’t send you home with a three-year supply of snacks (I mean, unless that’s really what you want, but we prefer our food a bit fresher than that). Instead, we’ll offer you savings for your budget and for our planet.
Why should you use the bulk aisle?
Buying in bulk is a great option for families of six or recent college grads all the same. In this aisle, you can get exactly the amount that you need. There are no package limitations, so large families don’t have to get two packages when they just need one and a half, and those shopping for one don’t have to pay for extra food they might end up wasting. Also, because there aren’t packages, you don’t have to pay for it. A study by Portland State University found that, on average, buying in bulk will save the consumer 53%. Just remember: buying in bulk doesn’t mean you must buy bulk-y.
And that packaging? You aren’t paying for it, which means the planet doesn’t have to either. Bring your reusable containers and make sure we weigh them before you fill up. The same study mentioned earlier found that if Americans switched from packaged coffee to bulk coffee, it would result in a decrease of nearly 240 million pounds of foil packaging waste. At a time when the environment is calling for our help, every little bit counts.
These are both solid reasons to use the bulk aisle, but some people are a bit intimidated when staring at the wall bursting with different granola, rice, and dried fruit. Let’s walk through the process so you feel like a natural amongst those bins:
- Bring your own containers. We can weigh them at the front registers before you fill up to make sure you’re just paying for the weight of your goods. Forgot your containers at home? We have compostable bags you can use.
- Find your favorite product. We have many options of rice, oats, granola, nuts, herbs, and more, so make sure to look above and below eye level to explore all the options.
- Fill up! Take as little or as much as you need. We don’t judge.
- Write the name of the product on a twist tie. Use this to tie your bag or just hold onto it if using your own container.
- Grab a Power Bowl from our deli to refuel after all that hard work. Congrats: you just shopped the bulk aisle!
If you ever find yourself confused by the process or looking for something specific, grab our Bulk Buyer, Michael. He is very knowledgeable and eager to pass on that knowledge. He works hard to bring in great products at the lowest price possible, and would love to see you strolling the bulk aisle.